In many key technologies it is necessary to operate and automate valves pneumatically.
With compressed air, you can also adjust large valves to any position safely and easily. To control a valve with a compressed air cylinder, you only need a positioner.
The positioner regulates the compressed air to the actuator and is connected to the drive mechanically or with a remote sensor. This allows you to precisely adjust the position of your cylinder and hence the valve.
At SMC you will find all products you need from a single source. Starting with the positioner, through special valves to the complete compressed air supply, including accessories such as one-touch fittings made of stainless steel.
We develop individual solutions for you according to your wishes for your applications, completely with high-quality SMC products.
SMC offers you individual support and tailor-made solutions for automation of your valve
On our YouTube channel we show you tests and solutions that we have carried out in our in-house laboratory.
Product Information for Valve Automation
Electro-pneumatic positioners (also called positioners)
With these controllers, pneumatic actuators can be adjusted to any desired position.
are used to bring the cylinder into a safe position in the event of an error in the compressed air supply. If the pressure falls below the adjustable minimum pressure, the valve switches to the safe position.
- 2/2-way valve for single-acting cylinders (spring return), series IL201
- 4/4-way valve for double-acting cylinders, series IL211
- 3/2 valve to switch to an alternative compressed air supply, series IL220
are necessary to protect the drive from damage by filtering the compressed air and adjusting the pressure. Robust and resilient, specially developed for valve automation.
Combinations of drives and actuators
CYPOs are cylinders with positioners that can be adjusted to any desired position. They are often manufactured with additional pneumatic circuits and are designed and built individually according to your wishes.
With us you get all-in-one solutions with SMC components only.
- The position of the cylinder is specified by an electrical signal (4-20 mA).
- Simple calibration (end positions)
- Short response times and high precision
- Repeatability ± 0.5 mm
- Easy maintenance thanks to the all-in-one solution
- Built-in self-diagnosis (with LED and output signal)
- Emergency positioning of the cylinder in the event of an air or power failure, depending on the application